Monday, August 13, 2012

Elbow - One Day like this

Last night I watched Elbow on the Olympics closing ceremony singing "One Day Like This". I cried.



When I was recovering two years ago, when I had been told that after four of the six chemo sessions that the scan showed the cancer was gone, I used to listen to this song every day. I remember going through the last two chemo sessions and listening to this song as it was a symbol of the light for me at the end of the tunnel. "Throw those curtains wide" was like a message for me - live every day to the full. It helped me get through those last two sessions with a positive outlook.
I cried last night not just because it reminded me of this time but because in the last 6 weeks or so I have, as suggested in previous posts, had a rekindling of this positive view, literally seeing things in a way I have not done for two years. It was like a reminder to stay on this path.
Incidentally, I have been listening to Elbow's last album recently (Build a Rocket Boys) and the more I listen, the more I think it is inspirational too. Lyrics that are so gentle. If you have not had the pleasure, trust me, it's worth it.

No comments: