Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Lance Armstong

When I was sick two years ago a friend of mine bought me a book by Lance Armstrong, the (many time) Tour de France winner who had cancer in the late nineties. It covered how he got sick, what happened and how he got back to health. Even though I must say I was not crazy about him as a person (I thought he was quite arrogant), I was hugely encouraged by this book at the time and would recommend it for anyone who has cancer now or indeed has gone through it and come out the other side.
He was hit by the same issue I had during chemo, a serious decrease in white blood cells which meant he found it difficult to move about (and cycle even a short distance which he found very difficult). I was also inspired by the title, 'My journey back to life' because that is exactly what I felt I was going through, literally trying to get back to a life which I considered to be on hold.
I bring this up because today my wife bought me a running top which is from his brand with Nike, some of the money from which goes to his foundation. She said that felt it would help keep me encouraged when running considering where I had come from two years ago. I think it just might.

And of course I bought a bike when I was at the end of the chemo. But instead of a bike to race on, I got a touring bike to out my two year old on and cycle around town. A much better idea and I have got great use out of it. Only problem now is that he'll only get on the bike with me if I promise to buy him sweets on the journey -it's no longer the pleasure of the spin for him. Can't have everything I suppose.

No comments: