Thursday, August 2, 2012

Learning

So what have I learned about myself after all this?
Firstly I learned that I'm a "bit" wired at times. I remember being in the hospital and being quizzed about my lifestyle from a nutritionist and she just laughed at me....not because of all the healthy things I was doing on top of all the work, but the fact that I had been hiding the fact that I was doing a Masters degree from my wife (see previous post).  She had heard of guys going on benders or playing too much golf and pretending to be at work, but omitting  masters degree from a wife's list of 'need to know' was new to her. With hindsight, this speaks volumes really - the fact I didn't tell her indicates I knew she would think I was taking on too much and try to prevent me. Of course this simple logic was not front of mind at the time....and this 'wired' factor has decreased on the last two years.

Secondly, it reconfirmed what I knew already - that I am very focused and driven and can put my mind to anything.    Of course the chemotherapy did the job on the 'thing' but I like to think my determination played at least a part. It certainly did in relation to enduring the chemo.

Thirdly, I have an amazing family - my wife and parents and siblings were my rocks. My wife is a seriously strong person - Samsonlike in her determination to ensure the kids' lives were maintained as normal.

Lastly, I learned that it is important to remember it. It puts everything in perspective. I always say that the worst day at work is a million times better than the best day in hospital. I know it is hard to keep this front of mind when work and normal life is difficult, but it really helps to consider it on those days.

No comments: