Monday, August 6, 2012

Two years ago......

At the moment I'm saying "two years ago I..." a lot. Yesterday, I said 'Two years ago I had to stay with my parents for 2 days as one of my children was sick and so the doctors advised me to get out of the house in case I picked up the illness and I'd be in trouble. I went to my parents' house and could hardly walk to the end of the street. Today I went for a three mile run in my parents' home town and then went for a few pints with my Dad". I'm finding that doing this comparison is healthy for me and helping me appreciate the individual moments of a day.  It is helping me remember just how much I used to push to always be doing something productive. It seems crazy. Now I can simply 'be' and enjoy it.

I'm reading a book called 'Running with the mind of Meditation' at the moment, a gift from my brother. It is fantastic. It is basically about the balance that a life with both running and meditation can provide you. An easy read. There's a good Youtube clip which illustrates what the author is about and it's not too heavy. Hey, these things are aspirations and are not easy to reach but I am feeling that it is a good aspiration for me to have. I'm not taking it too seriously but I think the central message about the link between mind and body is what is so poignant for me given that I believe that this disconnection was what caused me to be sick in the first place. I see it as a therapy to ensure this does not happen again.

I met a guy last year who spoke like this as he told me that he, some years ago, had cancer twice. He "didn't learn the lessons the first time" he said. This was such a powerful message to me and one I have never forgotten.

No comments: